Have you noticed that the last several Lenten seasons Pastor Scott has suggested that rather than giving something up for Lent we take something on? Well, your Mission + Serve department has been listening. We’ve compiled some ideas for service and prayer in this Season of Lent. Of course this list is not exhaustive. In fact, if you come up with something from the list, OR something you’ve dreamed up on your own, would you please let me know? Shoot me an email at Nan Van Zwol. Read on for ideas and links, and Take Something ON for Lent!
- Serve a meal at a day center or winter shelter, helping our neighbors who are unhoused, in transition or escaping from difficult situations. Opportunities with New Horizons, CFH, and others.
- Register for the Discover + Live Your Purpose Webinar Re-Broadcast. Register HERE
- Correspond with a Bellevue Presbyterian Church Missionary living abroad. Contact Nan Van Zwol
- Pray for a First Responder through Bellevue Police Prayer Partners (BP3). Read more about it and sign up HERE
- Give up 1, 2, or even 5 lattes a week in order to increase your gift to the One Great Hour of Sharing offering.
- Volunteer with Club Jubilee at Chinook Middle School.
- Join the Fireside Knitters, meeting first and third Thursdays, 9am-12pm in the Welcome room
- Pick up a copy of Seek God for the City 2016, a Lenten prayer booklet specifically for Revival, available in the Lobby, or download the app HERE
- Choose a Community or Global Outreach Partner to pray for every day. See our Mission + Serve Directory for a list of partners and missionaries
- Prayer Walk your neighborhood daily, or weekly, or as often as works for you. Let us know what you did, below!
- Pray daily for a Winter Impact Team. Pray for Haiti with Crossworld, Guatemala with Nicolas Fund for Education, and Dominican Republic with Children of the Nations. Contact Nan Van Zwol
- Become a KidReach tutor or an Eastside Academy mentor.
- Read Roadmap to Reconciliation by Brenda Salter McNeil (available in the church library), and join the Justice and Reconciliation discussion group.
- Read a selection from the Lenten resources on display in the 1st floor Welcome Room Library
Check out the Library’s Online Catalog for more Lenten resources
- Join the Usher Team.
- Join the Flower Committee.
- Send a care package to a Missionary or BelPres College Student.
- Pack a used handbag–in good condition–with toiletries and snack foods. Keep it in your car to hand to women in need you encounter.
- Stop by the Mission + Serve office (on the 2nd floor of the Lower Campus) and pick up a Family Prayer & Action Journey pack. 30 days of prayer geared toward families wanting to pray together for issues of Justice. Produced by Steps of Justice
Fill out this Form to find out more, or let us know what cool thing you’re taking on in the comments section, below!