Can you imagine having to choose between disposable diapers for your baby or paying your rent on time? This is the kind of choice low-income Eastside families face daily. Baby Basics Bellevue, a non-profit, all volunteer run organization has been distributing diapers since October 2012 to help meet diaper need in our community.
“Diapers may seem like a simple thing but here are no government subsidies or tax breaks for diapers. Diaper Need is a silent crisis and an important issue in our community. Sadly, diaper banks in King County cannot keep up with the on-going need. Clean diapers are a basic necessity for a baby and helps the entire family,” explains Kim Stone, Co-founder and Director of Baby Basics.
The low-income families that Baby Basics serve are hard-working parents who do not receive federal or state cash funds. They may or may not have access to food stamps, which cannot be used for diapers. The parents may be the single mom working at Bellevue Square or the young father working at one of your favorite restaurants. Many of the parents are working jobs that pay minimum wage or just above.
To help meet the need and raise awareness Baby Basics Bellevue is having their fourth annual May Diaper Drive. The gift of diapers is an ideal way to honor mothers and to show support for low-income working moms (and dads!) on the Eastside.
Your gift of diapers this May will not only help cover a little bottom but will make a difference to a mom and her family. Diapers in sizes 4, 5, and 6 are especially needed.
These community friendly organizations and businesses are springing into action with Baby Basics and collecting diapers:
- Bellevue Presbyterian Church, 1717 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue, Mother’s Day, May 8
- Chace’s Pancake Corral, 1606 Bellevue Way SE, Bellevue, Collecting change for diaper change
- Café Cesura, 1015 108th NE, Bellevue, Collecting change for diaper change
- Kirkland Way Storage, 11200 Kirkland Way, Kirkland
- QFC – Bellevue Village, Saturday, May 7, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Sacred Heart Church, 9460 NE 14th Bellevue, Mother’s Day, May 8
Learn more about Baby Basics HERE!